We're in process of refreshing our corporate brand before building our new website and a bunch of integrated campaigns. We've been using this simple brand test to evaluate each of the concepts (positioning, messaging, pyramid, etc.).
- Based on values your audience cares about
- Satisfies their rational and emotional needs
- Grounded in your core business strategy and value prop
- Based on believable values/attributes/strengths
- Differentiates you from competitors
- Creates a unique and memorable personality
- Captures defensible real and perceptual territory
- Will stand the test of time
We're using this test for our corporate brand, but it holds true for product brands as well. In fact, you can use a modified version to make sure all of your marketing/advertising/social content is on target for your audience.