According to analysts, 2011 is the year of mobile. Clearly Google thinks so, recently hosting an event called ThinkMobile featuring Mary Meeker of the investment bank Kleiner Perkins (@KPCB). Together with Google's Jason Spero, Head of Americas Mobile Advertising, they review why marketers need to reshape their strategies to reach the always-connected, “mobilized” consumer.
Some interesting factoids:
- Shipments of smartphones & tablets will exceed desktops/laptops in 2011
- US mobile searches grew 4X last year
- Google forecasts that this year 16% of searches will be mobile
- Google says 1 in 3 mobile searches are local
- After searching for a local business, 61% of users called and 59% visited
- Over 200 million people access Facebook from their mobile phone, as well as over 50% of Twitter users
- 74% of consumers have purchased as result of using smartphone while shopping
- Mobile users engage and convert at higher rates than web users
- 79% of advertisers do not have a mobile optimized site
The bottom line is that you need to invest in Social-Local-Mobile (SoLoMo) marketing or you will miss opportunities to egage the large and rapidly growing segment of consumers who are looking for products/services from their mobile phones.